01 March 2009

another update on the best african poetry 2009

So, what is to be done? Well, here's the situation:

I have received a large number of really excellent work -- from across the Continent -- to consider for The Best African Poetry 2009. But I'm greedy. I want more. And from more places.

So, once again I'm extending the deadline. And for good or ill, it's an open deadline. At some point I'll shut it down. I will try to give ample warning and send out a last call, but there are no guarantees. I would still like to have the final publication ready for the African Literature Association conference (mid-April this year) but I'm not going to rush things. I want to make sure that the quality of the poetry included and the actual publication itself is top flight.

I will be reading and making decisions on all the submissions received to date over the course of the next 3 weeks. So if you have submitted poetry for consideration, expect to hear from me in the coming weeks.

I will also be embarking on (another) publicity blitz -- spreading the word and the call. Any help you can give in this regard -- sending links to friends and colleagues, posting information about this on your favorite (relevant) website or blog, tweating about it -- will, of course, be greatly appreciated.

For those of you who thought you missed the deadline, are coming across this for the first time, or have just read something published in 2008 that you think is just the best, and should be recognized as such, review the initial call and send along your nomination/s as soon as possible!

And, of course, if you have any questions or suggestions, email me.

No comments: